Subject: Re: Success!!! Maybe?
To: Jesse Swensen <jrs@pagesz.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/1997 15:02:58

> I downloaded all the stuff for the current-970402 snapshot.  I got the
> sys.tar.gz tar ball and actually got a clean compile.  I copied netbsd to
> /netbsd.test and rebooted.  I changed the kernel name in the booter and
> started up.  Everything seems to be working as expected,
>
> BUT (you knew it was coming ;-) at one point in the boot process I get:
>
> checking for core dumps...
> savecore: can't find device 195/248
> May 29 19:52:24 minimac savecore: can't find device 195/248
>

> Should I be concerned?  How do I make it go away? :-)

(in order) Not unless you care about core dumps. Make your kernel
/netbsd.

The problem is that a number of programs, like ps and savecore, need
to know information from the running kernel. They can look into the
memory space of the kernel, but they need to know where to look.

The way this is figured out at present is to look in the kernel file
called /netbsd, get an address, and look there in the current kernel's
memory space.

If /netbsd isn't the currently running kernel, the utilities see
garbage. Thus the 195/248 message.

> By the way, I just wanted to say how great you guys.  You have been a
> really big help.  I hope I can start giving something back...

:-) We'll be happy for the help.

Take care,

Bill