Subject: Re: quotas and other things
To: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/1997 14:51:23
On Thu, 29 May 1997, tcjam wrote:

> Ok this has been coming for a while. Thanks to everyone that helped me
> get a stable kernel (GENERICSBC-26).
>
> I have a few questions:
> 1. I need help with fstab, my macbsd drive is id #3 and the sd* changes
> depending on wether any drives before it are on or off is there someway I
> can configure my /etc/fstab so that it will work from either sd1a or sd2a?

You can't do that in fstab.  But, if you download all the kernel sources
and build a custom kernel you can wire specific SCSI id's to specific sd?x
unit n mbers.

> 2. I recently looked at trying to set up some user quotas for my
> filesystem and I can't find out how any where the man pages are no help
> (specifically there is no declaration of what format to use).
> HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> 3. I installed X (when I had space, its since been deleted) and when I
> typed startx it came up with a white screen and some specs on my video and
> then just stoped. Does anyone know what's wrong?

Sounds like you didn't completely delete X.  Look for the startx program:

	which startx

and delete it.

> 4. I got the procps hack so I could at least see my processes (apparantly
> my kernel is too old for the 1.2.1 binaries that I'm using). I want to
> know what I can do to rectify this since I haven't found a current SBC
> kernel that works yet. And it doesn't look good.

You gotta have a kernel, libkvm, and ps that all "match" (ie, were built
from the same sources, or at least the same include files).  Some folks
are starting to include libkvm and ps (and a few other programs) with
their semi-custom kernels, so ask the person who built your kernel.

> 5. I'm not sure what happened but I used to get a simple readout of my
> real hostname from 'netstat' now I get nothing but numbers that don't mean
> anything to me.

Check out your /etc/hosts file as well as resolv.conf to make sure netstat
knows how to resolve nam/address pairs.

> Please feel free to tackle any of my problems if you think you can help.
> As always thanks for the help!

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com |