Subject: Re: Quadra 840AV & X-Windows
To: Rick <rblowbac@erols.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/1997 15:55:33
On Tue, 27 May 1997, Rick wrote:
> "Fatal Server Error: can't run Xserver with no screens.....
>
> Question:  Should I be using the latest Generic Kernel?, does it work
> with the Quadra 840AV internal video?.

I haven't tried a generic kernel lately, but last time I did, the internal
video didn't work. You might try one of my kernels, at
http://www.realtime.net/~khym/netbsd/

It's what I use on my 660av, and I've heard it works on 840avs too.

> Question: I cannot see any reference to "grf0" after the dmesg command,
> have tried the ./MAKEDEV grf0 grf1" command but system does not
> recognize it, is the command correct?, I am newbie at unix so please be
> gentle :-)

You need to "cd /dev" before doing the MAKEDEV command... although "grf0"
not showing up in dmesg means that the kernel didn't find the internal
video, not that you don't have the device created for it...

> Question: I know that the ps command does not work with madhatter #37 on
> my box, what can I do to make it work?.

If you use my kernel, I've also provided a ps and libkvm that'll work...

> Question: How can I prevent netbsd from using my entire 17" monitor, can
> I change it to 640/480?.

You'll have to do that from the MacOS side... use the Monitors control
panel or something... it'll still use your entire monitor though, the
pixels'll just be bigger :) If you mean that you only want X to use the
upper left corner of your monitor or something, I don't know of any way to
do that...

> Any help would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks

Well hope this helps! :)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++