Subject: Re: Stuck again...
To: Jesse Swensen <jrs@pagesz.net>
From: Nico van Eikema Hommes <hommes@derioc1.organik.uni-erlangen.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/29/1997 09:44:33
    Hi Jesse,

>I then restarted the machine.  I get the following:
>root file system type: ffs
>Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.
>Usage: fsck [-dfnpy] [-b block] [-c level] [-mmode] filesystem ...
>Unknown error; help!
>Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
>I can get in single user mode and I notice the /usr (/dev/sd0g) volume is
>not mounted.  I ran fstab force from the minishell within NetBSD/Mac
>Install Utility 1.1. and I looked at the file and things look OK to this
>untrained eye.

During boot, fsck is called as "fsck -p" to do filesystem checks when
necessary and to repair automagically. However, fsck in the 970402 snapshot
does not like to be called that way: it insists on getting the filesystem
specified in the command line. Silly, but that's life.

However, you should be able to boot by doing the following (in single user):

fsck -p /              will do the read-only mounted root partition first
fsck -p /dev/rsd0g     will do /usr (not sure if it should be rsd0g or sd0g,
                       but fsck will just complain if you pichk the wrong on=
e)
exit                   to leave the single-user shell and continue booting

Then, when everything is running, edit /etc/rc to call fsck as you just did,
instead of just "fsck -p"

Best wishes,

           Nico

--
  Dr. N.J.R. van Eikema Hommes     Computer-Chemie-Centrum
  hommes@ccc.uni-erlangen.de       Universitaet Erlangen-Nuernberg