Subject: Re: / procfs help!
To: Matt Hickey <mhickey@reed.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/28/1997 10:52:24

> I am using NetBSD 1.2  I plan to go ahead and download the 1.2.1 dist, but
> I am curious about how to install it over what I currently have.  I have
> customized stuff and added users and such to the point where I would not
> like to start over...
>
> thanks again for your help!

You should have no problems with everything except etc.tar.gz.

To upgrade, install all the tar files except etc.tar.gz. Just copy it
on to the unix fs. Boot single user with the new kernel. Next mount all
the file systems r/w (or atleast / and /usr).

cd to /tmp and expand the tar file (tar xzf name_of_etc_tar_file).
Then just systematically look for differences between your stuff and
the new stuff. I usually don't bother copying the password files over.
Also, if you have something like tcsh running, it's real easy to
do the comparison. I type:

set i=a_file; diff -c /etc/$i $i |more

and find all the differences. Either patch your customizations into the
new file and copy it over, delete the new one (if no real changes), or
copy it outright. Then just hit the up arrow (to recall that line), ^a
(to go to the left of the line), scoot over, and change the file name.

It is tedious, but you don't have to do it often. And the more frequently
you do it, the better you get :-) and the less that changes each time.

Note: The network initialization has GREATLY changed between 1.2 and
now.  The hostname.XXX files are gone. Now it's ifconfig.XXX, which
contains the exact commands to feed ifconfig.

Take care,

Bill