Subject: Re: Netatalk
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jesse Swensen <jrs@pagesz.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/27/1997 18:35:57
At 12:12 PM -0700 5/27/97, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>> I made an attempt to install Netatalk, but due to a lack of any practicle
>> experience I failed.  Does anyone have it installed and be willing to tell
>> what you did?  Is there already a binary tar ball ready to go?
>
>Uhm, what did you do? How did it fail? What kernel are you using?

I downloaded netatalk14b2.netbsd.b2.tgz.  I unziped, untared and ran make
(according to the READMEs.)  I am using NetBSD 1.2.1 (GENERIC).  When I run
make I get to the following command:
gcc -Werror -I../../sys/netbds/ -p -DBSD4_4 -02 -I.../.../include -c
asp_close.c

The error I get is:
asp_close.c:27: netatalk/at.h: No such file or directory

Please be gentle.  I am just beginning.  I feel this is a simple path
problem.  I picked up a copy of "Managing Projects with make" and am pawing
through it.  I also don't have a clear picture of what I need to do.

>You need to be able to compile your own kernel, as I don't think any of
>the generic kernels have Netatalk compiled in.

I think I can do that...

>You need a working Ethernet card.

I have that...

>You need to be running a very current snapshot (like the middle of
>May) as there was a compiler bug which touched Netatalk, which was
>recently fixed.

I downloaded current-970402 (GENERIC-27) and (GENERICSBC-27) but I have yet
to find a readme as to how to install it and the other binaries that came
with it.  As I said, I am just beginning...

Thanks for all your help.
Jesse

Jesse Swensen        111 Vashon CT.       (919) 481-3480 (home)
jrs@pagesz.net       Cary, NC  27513      (919) 481-3363 (FAX)

       "Intel Inside" The worlds most used warning label.