Subject: Quadra 840AV & X-Windows
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick <rblowbac@erols.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/27/1997 17:56:07
Hello everyone!,

Would like to thank all the wonderful people out there for helping me
get my machine running UNIX!, with special thanks to Mr. Brown for his
Madhatter Kernels.

Ok, now to the questions,  my hardware is as follows:
840AV, 512 Hardrive, various adb devices, Apple 17" monitor, kensington
trackball, Syquest, Dat tape, 7 Cd CDROM NEC.

Am using all 1.2.1 parts and madhatter #37 kernel, booter 1.9.5 and
installer 1.1

after booting everything works!, and I can start up as single user or
multiple.  I followed the FAQ's for loading X-windows, I loaded all 12
parts and did a "export PATH=.... and then type startx.  I used to get
things like "no such file or directory" regarding libXext.so.6.1 but
fixed it by modifying /etc/rc.local in vi. now I get the following:

"Fatal Server Error: can't run Xserver with no screens.....

Question:  Should I be using the latest Generic Kernel?, does it work
with the Quadra 840AV internal video?.

Question: I cannot see any reference to "grf0" after the dmesg command,
have tried the ./MAKEDEV grf0 grf1" command but system does not
recognize it, is the command correct?, I am newbie at unix so please be
gentle :-)

Question: I know that the ps command does not work with madhatter #37 on
my box, what can I do to make it work?.

Question: How can I prevent netbsd from using my entire 17" monitor, can
I change it to 640/480?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,  Thanks