Subject: Re: Serial console needs handshake?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@espresso.rhein-neckar.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1997 14:56:10
[problem w/ SE/30 serial console]

> I disconnected the serial cable from the SE/30, and suddenly while doing
> uucp from the SE/30 I got transfer rates of about 100 byte/sec.
>
> 'systat -w2 vmstat' told me something about 2,000 SCC interrupts/sec even
> when uucp had already hung up the modem. When I attached a serial cable to
> the SE/30 and started a terminal program on the remote Mac the uucp
> transfer rates immediately returned to normal values (1k..1.5k).
>
> Looks like the kernel queues up console output and tries to feed the SCC
> which then floods the machine with error ints.
>
> Am I talking nonsense? Bill?   ;)

Kinda. :-)

I bet the problem is that some signal on the line is floating, and
oscilating between logic states. THAT is generating a lot of interrupts,
which are swamping the computer.

I'm not sure what to suggest to do to fix it, though, other than
maybe leave the cable hooked into something.

Take care,

Bill