Subject: Re: Serial console transfer & Xwindows
To: James W.Y.F. Chan <jchan@uoguelph.ca>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1997 23:16:11
At 9:09 Uhr +0200 24.05.1997, James W.Y.F. Chan wrote:

>1. How can I get binaries or source to my IIci running BSD via the serial
>cable from my Powermac. The modem is hooked up to the Powermac and I want
>it that way for now. Kermit was not part of the package, nor was
>zmodem.... The floppy, as far as I am aware of, is not working. I'm
>considering getting an Ethernet card for the IIci in a few weeks. But in
>the mean time, help....

With what code I have, you'd actually be able to read an archive tarred on
MacOS to a raw 800 K floppy just fine.  ;)
But then, you'd have to be able to compile a patched kernel yourself.

In the meantime, what about ppp? Enable serial login with 57k6, create an
account that has pppd as its "shell" and you should be set. I did the same
between an SE/30 and a Q700 before I got ethernet.

>2. I think I know the answer to this one. Xwindows wouldn't work over
>the null modem serial, correct?

Again, try ppp. I've never tried X with it, though.  ;)

	hauke