Subject: Serial console needs handshake?
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1997 23:06:36
Hi,

I've just come across an interesting feature of the serial console.

I run my SE/30 on serial console because until recently I only had one
mouse/kbd for >2 Macs, and then, it's so much nicer to deal with kernel
panics...

At the moment I am playing with a NetBSD installation on my Quadra 700
which I run on serial console, too (work happens on a remote X server).

I disconnected the serial cable from the SE/30, and suddenly while doing
uucp from the SE/30 I got transfer rates of about 100 byte/sec.

'systat -w2 vmstat' told me something about 2,000 SCC interrupts/sec even
when uucp had already hung up the modem. When I attached a serial cable to
the SE/30 and started a terminal program on the remote Mac the uucp
transfer rates immediately returned to normal values (1k..1.5k).

Looks like the kernel queues up console output and tries to feed the SCC
which then floods the machine with error ints.

Am I talking nonsense? Bill?   ;)

	hauke