Subject: Re: a lamer-newbie letter
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: tcjam <tcjam@voicenet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1997 20:31:58
On Fri, 23 May 1997, Jens Thordarson wrote:

> Hey guys...
>
>         My system: an LCIII 68030 with a 68882 FPU and 8Megs of RAM, about
> 70% of the 80Meg (64meg root&usr) disk full of -current base, comp, etc,
> man and GENERIC-30 kernel. I know it's a small system...but it should be
> enough for me). It's supposed to be used for fun, but not as a network
> server or anything...so here's my prob. No extra cards or stuff....
>
>    My netbsd is giving me a hard time (If it wasn't my netbsd I prolly
> wouldn't be mailing to you)....well...I've got a question for
> you....especially those who have run netbsd on LCIIIs/P450s...I've got
> NetBSD up and running....well.....almost...the problem is that it has
> booted without any errors about 3 or 4 times of the about 500 I have tried
> the last two weeks, it has hanged in almost every part of the startup
> process after the filesystem has taken over the boot process from the
> kernel (Or that's what I think it does...).
> What happens is that it just hangs....and doesnt take any orders.....just
> hangs.....then I push the lovely interrupt thing.....and look what
> happens....I can type a letter or two and then everything is frozen and I
> have to do a hard reboot, damaging the filesystems....enough for me having
> to run fsck a billion times....Well....IF I get the system up and
> running....then I get another nice problem.....those segmentation
> faults....illegal instructions....and some programs......Especially ls and
> the c/c++ compilers start crashing.....
> I'm sorry if this is a totally stupid question, but I couldn't help it...
>
> Thankyou
>
> katZup_
>
> PS: Does anyone know if NetBSD would work on an LC475 with a full 040?

I'm having similar problems on a Performa 460. I'm using the 1.2.1
release, 12 MB RAM and 100 MB of root & usr slice with 24 MB of swap. I
read the FAQ at puma and it said it might be a problem with the scsi
driver. So I downloaded the SBC kernels #27 & #30 but they both hang while
trying to read the scsi chain. Something comes up like obio1
options=1(PDMA) and it just sits there doing nothing. ( I have Active
termination and I think my cables are good, I've never had any trouble
with them ) So I tried the GENERIC #30 kernel and I still have hangs that
result in hard restarts.
Which end up totally destroying my filesystem. (I've been reformatting the
file system each time it is destroyed and reinstalling if there is a
better way to get it back to original condition PLEASE tell me)
I made my own etc installation file because I got tired of fixing all the
settings after starting from scratch :)

If I can do something to fix this please let me know.

Thanks

P.S. I"m new at this incase you couldn't tell :)