Subject: Re: Hurdler NuBus serial console
To: Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/23/1997 13:58:18

> On Thu, May 22 1997, "Bill Studenmund" wrote to "Michael R Zucca, amitai.schlair@usa.net, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG" saying:

[discussion of hooking up extra serial ports]

> A general question -- if we get these boards working, would it be possible
> to run the serial console over them?  I have a Hustler (the 2-port version)
> for my Quadra 950, so if I could use the Hustler's serial port as a serial
> console I might possibly be able to get the machine booting despite the lack
> of IOP support...

Maybe. The main stumbling block would be how to figure out if the NuBus
cards are there or not, and in which slot. Allen & Scott, can we do
NuBus scans at console attach time?

(The problem is that the console is one of the first things which gets
set up. It happens well before a lot of other things get set up, like
our access to NuBus cards.)

Other than that (and the difficulty of specifying when to use a NuBus
card), it should work, once we can use the cards in general.

Take care,

Bill