Subject: Re: Hurdler NuBus serial card
To: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1997 17:05:10
> > This card adds four serial ports to a NuBus Mac and is pretty well
> > engineered by all accounts, as many apps can find and use the additional
> > ports without the need for drivers (though the package does include
> > them, of course!).
> >
> > Does NetBSD support the serial ports added by the Hurdler card?
>
> No. However, I think the Hurdler uses standard Zilog ESCC chips. Coding
> a nice little LKM shouldn't be too hard. Just figure out where the chip
> bases are in NuBus space, point the zs* driver at them, and then handle
> the NuBus interrupts right. It shouldn't be too big of a project.
>
> I have an AE Quadralink card. I think the cards are pretty similar.
> I want to write a driver for it but first I've got some intvid business
> to take care of :)

I'd be happy to help w/ either effort (though color on my IIsi'd be nicer :-)
. As Michael said, we just need to know how the chips are set up in NuBus
space and how to recognize them.

I'm not sure if an lkm'd be the right way to test this driver out. The
M.I. 8530 driver doesn't deal well (not at all, actually) with detatching
a device. So once you load it, it probably won't detatch well. Also, I'm
not sure if NuBus interrupt handlers can be detatched. But this code should
be simple enough to not need much debugging.

Take care,

Bill