Subject: Re: Best version for SE-30?
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/20/1997 21:01:19
> At 21:03 Uhr +0200 19.05.1997, Brad Salai wrote:
> >I recently acquired an SE-30 and installed 1.2.1 on it thinking of making
> >it a production machine for DNS and mail.
> >
> >I noticed immediately that the console has the revert to reverse video
> >problem, and that a few things produce bad system call faults ( I'll write
> >these down tonight )
> >
> >The question, does anyone have an SE30 running, and if so what is the
> >preferred release for it?
>
> I have. I run it on serial console, though. What kernel are you running
> with? Was it built from 1.2.1 sources or from -current ones? I am not sure
> if -current kernels are happy with 1.2.1 userland...

I'm running a 1.2.1 kernel. You are right that -current isn't happy without the whole thing.

The console works fine once I changed it to vt100. I'm told that -current fixes that, and I may update things once I have stuff working.

> >Also, I checked the status page and am pleased to see that ethernet is
> >working. Does anyone know if cards are available from anyone these days?
>
> Afaik, Asante still ships the SE/30&IIsi PDS model -- if you want to shell
> out the money. ;)

Boy are you ever right. $150 for the card. I'm thinking for a long time before  I shell out that kind of dough.

Thanks for the info.

Brad