Subject: Re: Best version for SE-30?
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/20/1997 12:22:14

> Thanks, I may upgrade to something closer to -current. I originally thought
> that sticking to a "release" version would minimize problems, but that
> doesn't seem to be the case. The releases are OK, but things seem to
> improve all the time, and more current versions may actually be better in
> many respects, and no less stable than releases. I wonder if the "release"
> approach doesn't hold people back from using improved versions in some
> cases?

In some ways, it does. A release has the advantage that it has been
checked out intensly. Hopefully many more bugs have been found
and squished. One way this is achieved is by freezing the features of
a version. So, yes, a release lacks improved versions. In return,
a release is MUCH better suited to running on a production machine.

port-mac68k is very much on the hairy edge. We're still gaining
functionality on lots of machines, so there's a lot to change between
releases.

For an SE/30, I thought 1.2 was quite stable (modulo the vt100/vt220
bit). I ran it on banana, my se/30, w/o a problem. It even has an
Asante Ethernet card. :-)

Take care,

Bill