Subject: Re: ring overflows (was Question)
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/20/1997 01:26:23
On Mon, 19 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> Yes, but what is HSKo? Is it DTR or RTS? Is it both? Neither? Apple

On the cables I use, both :)

> The names make more sense if you consider the mac serial ports as
> not having an RTS output, only DTR. There's precedence for this
> as the actual pin in the chip to twiddle for HSKo is the DTR pin.
> (RTS is used to enable/disable the transmit buffers.) Also, if you
> overrun the buffer on an HP DeskWriter, it complains about a DTR
> handshaking overrun. There are also a number of modems, including
> mine :-), which use the output as DTR.

Ah, okay, I took a look at the Guide to Macintosh Family Hardware (and the
Apple IIgs Hardware Reference for comparison... turns out they're wired
the same) and educated myself :) The IIgs reference even calls pin 1 "DTR"
instead of "HSKo".

> crtscts does not, at present, use HSKo for flow control. It does,
> however, use CTS for flow control (so we will shut up when asked).

*nods* I'm still mildly concerned about compatibility though... if some
code, e.g. kermit, sets CRTSCTS, expecting to get bidirectional flow
control, won't it potentially be unhappy if it doesn't get it? :)

Does crtscts currently do anything at all with HSKo? Does anything at all
do anything with HSKo? :) Like does it get asserted when the serial port
is open and negated when closed?
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++