Subject: Re: dual monitors
To: Armen Babikyan <armenb@moof.ai.mit.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/19/1997 20:05:40
On Mon, 19 May 1997, Armen Babikyan wrote:
> I just pulled an Apple 4-bit color video card (NuBus) out of my Mac II and
> plugged it in my IIvx. Luckily it seems to work in MacOS and NetBSD, and
> NetBSD sees it as a "Toby Frame Buffer Card". what's this mean by the way?

It's just the name of the card... perhaps someone else knows the history
behind that name? :)

> It works in X too, except i can't initiate and windows on the second
> monitor. how do I do this? The cursor seems to move freely between
> them..but i can't drag windows between them. How do i fix this?

It's been a while since I've used X on a two monitor machine (like back in
X11R4), but it sounds like this hasn't changed--you can't drag windows
across screens. To open a window on another screen, use the -display
option. e.g. xterm -display :0.1

> by the way, will color X work with the 4-bit Apple video card?
> does dt make use out of the second monitor? maybe there's a cool way to
> make both monitors "consoles" and then use some keystroke to flip the adb
> access between them. just a random thought =)

Dunno about those...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++