Subject: Re: Question (yet another ...)
To: None <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/18/1997 14:23:10
On Sat, 17 May 1997 jhsterne@mindspring.com wrote:

> What's the significance of a "zstty[01]: ring overrun"?

Hmm... just ring, no fifo... means the kernel's ring buffer isn't big
enough to handle the baud rate.  I'm getting bad overruns (don't remember
if it's fifo or ring) on my PB145 with -current kernels, and that's at
19200.  57600 was unusable.  That's roughly the same speed system as
yours (25 MHz 030, no FPU).  Also compression errors galore (I suppose I
should turn off compression).  About the only thing I can suggest is drop
the baud rate until it clears up... or maybe add >&/dev/null to the end of
your pppd command line to trash the error msgs (will that work, or are
those coming through syslogd?)

David