Subject: Re: netbsd problem
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1997 17:28:57
>On Sat, 17 May 1997, a.e.nelson wrote:
>
>> i'm trying to get netbsd to work on my performa 405 (lcII) 4 megs ram.  I
>
>> thought 121 does!).  anyway, i get to a white screen, and it spits a bunch
>> of info on the screen, then gets to a part where is says something about
>> classic II roms, then the last line before it halts is something about the
>> ADB port.
>
>My guess is that the LCII requires a HWDIRECT (formerly ADBTEST) kernel.
>At least they used to.  I don't know off hand where to find one...  there
>may be a 1.2.1 HWDIRECT kernel on puma (which is also ftp.macbsd.com), or

Good guess, but not entirely correct.  The LC-II support using MRG became
available shortly after the code freeze on the 1.2 Release.  In fact both
the LC-II and LC-III were fixed at about the same time. The 1.2.1 Release
may have included those fixes, but to be safe I'd grab a copy of one of
the later snapshots. Both the 2/14/97 and 4/2/97 snapshots do support the
LC-II and LC-III using the MRG code. There was an early version of
ADBTEST (160 I think) that should run on the LC-II, but later versions
may not.  It would be best to check the HWDIRECT Web Page for the current
list of supported machines.

-bob