Subject: Re: netbsd problem
To: a.e.nelson <aen1575@silver.sdsmt.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1997 16:55:20
On Sat, 17 May 1997, a.e.nelson wrote:

> i'm trying to get netbsd to work on my performa 405 (lcII) 4 megs ram.  I
> partitioned my hard drive, installed the files, and ran the booting
> program.  after setting the options to scsi 0, i boot the program.  i then
> get a message that says netbsd has not been proven to work on my machine (i

That's generally booter lingo for "my tables of working machines are out
of date".  ;-)  Actually, that's not entirely fair, because with the
standard distributions, as-is, it probably won't work.  See below for a
kernel that is better suited to that hardware.

> thought 121 does!).  anyway, i get to a white screen, and it spits a bunch
> of info on the screen, then gets to a part where is says something about
> classic II roms, then the last line before it halts is something about the
> ADB port.

My guess is that the LCII requires a HWDIRECT (formerly ADBTEST) kernel.
At least they used to.  I don't know off hand where to find one...  there
may be a 1.2.1 HWDIRECT kernel on puma (which is also ftp.macbsd.com), or
ftp.netbsd.org, or probably from the adb page on puma (www.macbsd.com). If
you don't have any luck finding one or booting one, you might try the
kernel at ftp://globegate.utm.edu/pub/NetBSD/ which was something Allen
built for me & my PB145 (though it's a -current kernel).  If it works for
you, you'd want to switch to more current versions of the userland
programs (I'm using the more recent of the two snapshots at
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/arch/mac68k/).

> I didn't have any problems installing the files.  I did get some sort of
> error message when i was trying to mount the file systems.  i wasn't sure

Error on SCSIRead #5, I bet.  The world's most obnoxious and irrelevant
error to date.  A phase error, and not problem-causing in the least.  My
guess is 2/3rds of the ppl out there using NetBSD got that when they
installed.  I did on two of my systems (the IIsi didn't, but the 7100,
which seems faster at running the installer, did, and on the same drive,
which is odd :-).

> what i should mount, and i couldn't get mount /dev/sd0g/usr to work.  is
> that where i went wrong, or is there something else wrong?

besides a space after the sd0g, make sure you have a directory created
called /usr and make sure you've built devices.  The lack of either will
(I think) cause mount to fail, even in the installer.

David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |