Subject: Re: Quadra 840av and MacBSD
To: netBSD <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.buf.servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/1997 18:16:01
>I don't like the idea of zapping the PRAM to solve problems.  What could
>be in the PRAM which prevents MacBSD from booting?  I sorta like my
>settings the way they are already...

It holds spurrious stuff that it's not supposed to. It's only when PRAM is
corrupted that it helps to Zap it. Then you can reset your settings as
they're supposed to. You could also use something like TechTool to save the
PRAM after you've zapped it & returned your settings. Then you can just
restore these settings anytime you are having a PRAM-related problem.

>I have somewhat the same configuration as the person who was asking
>earlier (840av, etc) and I've never had BSD running EVER.  I tried under
>system 7.5.5 and 7.6 now.  I keep having problems with the kernel
>crashing.  I've tried over 40 kernels.  I tried everything I'd ever heard
>of and everything I could get ahold of.

>For what it's worth, I've had BSD running with X11R6 (In black and white
>only) on this Quadra using a custom kernel I got from somewhere, but I've
>lost the address.

I don't know why you would have needed a custom kernal. I have had NetBSD
running on my Q840AV (56MB RAM, using original 240MB for BSD, a gig drive
for MacOS 7.1) since December. I use the GENERIC 17 kernal. X ran without a
hitch once I booted in B&W mode.

Mike

Bikers don't *DO* taglines.