Subject: Re: Versions and IPNAT
To: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/1997 11:42:07

> On Thu, 15 May 1997, Steve Quint wrote:
>
> > I'm confused... Does this mean that the 1.2.1 distribution is not "current"?
>
> No, it's a few months old.  Every couple of weeks, generally, there's a
> new "-current" package created, containing effectively the same things
> that 1.2.1 has, except with a new kernel, a new libkvm, and replacements
> for the binaries that depend on libkvm (ps, top, probably vmstst, etc.).
> Because libkvm, and thus ps and friends are heavily dependent on the
> kernel and its internal structure, it takes very little kernel
> modification to push them out of sync.  The most important part of
> -current is the -current kernel, but the -current base package is helpful
> because of the ps, etc.  Dunno about the rest.

The new instalations include a lot more than that. For instance, a
snapshot from middle of April will also include Appletalk support in
ifconfig, netstat, and route. Also, we have changed how addresses
are handled (slightly). The rc.lkm stuff is new. ... There are a lot
user-land changes which the snapshots pick up too.

Though you're right that libkvm & kernel differences are the crankyest.

Take care,

Bill