Subject: Re: Versions and IPNAT
To: Steve Quint <squint@flash.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/1997 11:36:22

> At 23:41 -0700 5/14/97, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> >
> >Note that NetBSD 1.2.1 is mainly 1.2 with important fixes to various
> >problems added, but not a "feature release". I don't recall that 1.2.1
> >itself should support more machines than 1.2.
> >
> >NetBSD-current is a different beast in this respect with lots of new
> >features and new machines supported -- in fact I think that most (all)
> >of the supported 68040 machines require the -current non-released version
> >of NetBSD.
> >

> I'm confused... Does this mean that the 1.2.1 distribution is not "current"?

"current" what? 1.2.1 is the latest distribution. But when we talk
about "current", we mean NetBSD-current. NetBSD-current != 1.2.1 in
a big way. NetBSD-current is the current state of the development
tree. It is NOT guaranteed to work at any one time (like it sounds as
though it's not working for us today).

-current's brokenness comes in waves. In the lulls, when things seem fine,
folks will make snapshots, such as the one on ftp.netbsd.org. These
snapshots work ok, but haven't been put through the same debugging that
a full release has.

I am currently using the snapshot off of ftp.netbsd.org.

> In the IPNAT documentation, the author mentioned that loadable module
> capabilities are built into NetBSD current, does that include 1.2.1?
>
> Does that mean if I wish to use IPNAT with 1.2.1, I need to recompile a
> kernel; and if I use -current, I don't?

Probably. The thought is to just include bug fixes into the X.Y.#
releases. IPNAT sounds like a full-fledged feature, so it probably
didn't make it.

Take care,

Bill