Subject: Re: Q610
To: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
From: G. Evans <gevans@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/15/1997 08:09:35
On Thu, 15 May 1997, Erik Bertelsen wrote:

> Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 08:41:55 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
> To: James Snow <sno@freebsd.coffeehaus.net>
> Cc: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Q610
>
> On Wed, 14 May 1997, James Snow wrote:
>
> .. I get copyright notices, it notices what machine I'm using, how much RAM
> .. I have, a few other things and then the trap, followed by a dump of the
> .. registers and the kernel stack.
> ..
> .. AppleTalk is off, nothing is connected to either serial port, and I'm
> .. attempting this with 1.2.1.
>
> That's it, I think: The Q610 is not supported with any of the NetBSD
> releases (1.2, 1.2.1), but you have to install a more recent snapshot
> from the current development version of NetBSD.
>
> Note that NetBSD 1.2.1 is mainly 1.2 with important fixes to various
> problems added, but not a "feature release". I don't recall that 1.2.1
> itself should support more machines than 1.2.
>
> NetBSD-current is a different beast in this respect with lots of new
> features and new machines supported -- in fact I think that most (all)
> of the supported 68040 machines require the -current non-released version
> of NetBSD.

Ummm, nope. I am happily running NetBSD 1.2.1 with X (Black and White) on
my Quadra 610 at home, with full PPP conectivity, etc. (however since the
kernel and (Yes, excuse me for being dumb and not *quite* getting it) the
libraries(?) are different 'ps' and 'w' do not work.

When I first installed NetBSD on my Q610 I had many problems that ended up
being the result of a corrupted download of NetBSD, then after that, I
found out that if I was to use the madhatter kernels it *should* work.  So
I downloaded madhatter#36 (or was it 35??)  anyway, it worked!  Now I am
using madhatter#37 and all is well (except of course 'ps' and 'w').

Oh yeah, madhatter#40 worked as well, but did not support internal video
on my machine enough to even get B&W XWindows going :(

You can get the madhatter kernels from
ftp://ftp.best.com/pub.s/sbrown/NetBSD/kernels

-Greg Evans (gevans@televar.com)

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
			-Mark Twain