Subject: Re: Quadra 840av and MacBSD
To: Rick C. Petty <pett0019@gold.tc.umn.edu>
From: M. Lamoureaux <c675919@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/14/1997 22:31:57
On 5/14/97 10:06 PM, Rick C. Petty digitized the following:

>On Thu, 15 May 1997, Nigel Pearson wrote:
>
>> > This is where it freezes. I don't remember having this problem before.
>>
>> 	Try zapping the PRAM.
>
>I don't like the idea of zapping the PRAM to solve problems.  What could
>be in the PRAM which prevents MacBSD from booting?  I sorta like my
>settings the way they are already...
>
>I have somewhat the same configuration as the person who was asking
>earlier (840av, etc) and I've never had BSD running EVER.  I tried under
>system 7.5.5 and 7.6 now.  I keep having problems with the kernel
>crashing.  I've tried over 40 kernels.  I tried everything I'd ever heard
>of and everything I could get ahold of.
>
>--Rick C. Petty,  aka Snoopy                <h1><blink>I hate Netscape!

Don't knock it till ya try it! I have no idea how it did it, but zapping
the PRAM fixed my problem quick and easy. It also only takes a minute to
reconfigure the settings (date and time, mouse, memory).

For what it's worth, I've had BSD running with X11R6 (In black and white
only) on this Quadra using a custom kernel I got from somewhere, but I've
lost the address.

If anyone knows of the custom kernels that allow the built in video of
Quadras to work with X, please post it to the list.

Thanks,

Michael Lamoureaux
c675919@earthlink.net