Subject: Re: Weird: Illegal Instruction Errors on an 030?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/14/1997 21:29:46
On Wed, 14 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > I've almost gotten things working network-wise (I'll be using IP
> > Masquerading as soon as the 7600 box finishes building the linux server
> > with IP Masq turned on... (forgot one option).  Now, as soon as the ppp
> > link goes up and I actually make a connection, routed core dumps with an
> > illegal instruction error (at least gdb on the core says it's an illegal
> > instruction error).  Other programs did that yesterday, like update and
> > vi. I'm assuming that this means I still need the fpu-less math libs, but
> > I'm curious as to why the problems don't show up until the network starts
> > getting exercised.  It's fairly consistent, too.  Anybody know?
>
> I gather you don't have an FPU.

In a 145?  Is that even possible?  :-)

> Can you figure out EXACTLY what the
> naughty instruction is?

I'm not sure how w/o debugging symbols in any of the relevant crashers....
I suppose I can play with one of the core dumps with gdb and see if I see
anything obvious.  Meanwhile... have there been any upgrades to the
fpu-less math libs that anyone knows about?  Will those work acceptably
(don't care about the slow part) in a -current setup?

David