Subject: Re: 3-button mice that work (Re: X WINDOWS WORKS ON PB160 !!!)
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: John Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/14/1997 11:49:31
Ken and Masami Nakata wrote:

> MicroSpeed MacMouse Delux, or anything that talks Apple Extended Mouse
> Protocol.  As EMP pointing devices, I've seen people (incl. me)
> mention these:
>
>         Logitech TrackMan (apparently not Marble),
>         Logitech MouseMan, and
>         ALPS Glide Point
>
> NOTE: Logitech seems to have made a bad decision of making slight
> variations in their ADB protocols.  So, while my TrackMan and another
> person's MouseMan work, there are others whose MouseMen don't work.  I
> don't fully understand the nature of the problem, but as the ADB guy
> John Wittkoski himself owns a "bad" MouseMan, I'm sure it will be
> resolved in the future.

Coincidentally, the other night I was wandering around the Logitech
web site and found some info that _seems_ to identify the "bad"
(i.e. non-EMP) MouseMan and TrackMan models.

Check on the back of your device at the M/N number.
The "bad" devices seem to be:
MouseMan: M/N: AC-13-4MD
TrackMan: M/N: T-AA1-4MD

My mouse is an AC-13-4MD and it's not EMP, as Ken mentioned. If
anyone out there has a MouseMan that has something other than
the M/N number above and it _doesn't_ work, please let me know
so I can keep track of these things. Likewise, if anyone has
a TrackMan and can let me know which models do and don't work,
that would be good too.

I don't know how many other model numbers Logitech has for these
two devices. Hopefully these are the only two that are busted.

	--John

P.S. I will get the non-EMP MouseMan working eventually. It's
not a matter of knowing how to do it, it's just having time to
do it.