Subject: Re: Well done!
To: Amitai Schlair <amitai.schlair@usa.net>
From: John Duncan <jddst19+@pitt.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/14/1997 09:44:37
> I didn't think NetBSD would support this unusual and not very popular
> monitor, especially since it had a specialized card. Wrong! It booted
> perfectly with the Portrait.
>
> I'm pretty new here, so I don't know whom to thank, but kudos to those
> of you who incorporated functionality for this card!

I guess you should thank apple, and at least Bill Atkinson, who wrote
lisagraf, for encouraging that monitors be quickdraw compatible,
standardizing where "video memory" is up there, and enforcing that all
cards have a declaration rom on them, which has helped to make apples
truly plug-and-play. Thank god for microsoft, is my opinion, for
bringing us PnP in 1994. What would we have done without them.

Apple's thought police have made the peripheral compatibility area of
NetBSD/port-mac68k the most care-free part of the distribution. The same
people, though, made the reverse-engineering project very complex.

-John