Subject: Re: Screenless Performa575 install probs.
To: Allan Fields <afields@hotmail.com>
From: Mark Andres <mark@giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/14/1997 19:54:21
Hi,

Here is what I would do if I were in your situation.  1) remove the hard
disk on the 575 and put it in the SE.  Setup the HD and install all the
NetBSD files you want according to the install instructions.

2) You will need to edit the /etc/ttys file to enable a serial port to run
the console.  You cna do this by using cpout in the Installer mini shell.
Edit the file with some program that understands UNIX LFs like BBEdit.
Then use cpin to copy the file back into your NetBSD partition.  Note that
tty00 is the modem port and tty01 is the printer port.

3) Set up the Booter preferences and make sure that the Serial console is
set on.  Also, set up the booter to automatically boot.  Then, make an
alias of the Booter program and put it in your "Startup" folder inside
your System Folder.

4) Put the HD back in the 575.  Use a null modem or printer cable to
connect the 575 to the SE.  Fire up a terminal program on the SE like
ZTerm.

5) Turn on the 575 and cross your fingers.  It is going to be a pain
because you are going to have to swap hard disks for debugging, but you
might get it to work.

I think it has already been pointed out that there are problems with
running NetBSD on 68LC040 chips (such as are in your 575).  Good luck
anyways.

Mark

PS

Sorry, they do.

> Please tell me my "HOT"mail account doesn't append a footer add to all of my
> messages... That would be really, really gross.

> Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

Mark Andres             E-mail: mark@giganet.net
    Running NetBSD and 100% Microsoft Free!