Subject: Re: Screenless Performa575 install probs.
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1997 17:34:40
On Tue, 13 May 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

> > Unfortunately, yeah, it is.  We ought to figure out a way to do that,
> > though, and in fact, installation from the un*x side is one of the wish
> > list items....  The hard part would be convincing NetBSD to boot w/o swap
> > or a root partition.  It might be possible one of these days.  :-)
> >
> 	Its called a kernel with builtin ramdisk :) & used at least in the
> 	SSTO floppies that Perry has been making for the i386 port...

like the miniroots that the quadras had to use until recently....  Except
add in-kernel or lkm read-only hfs support.  Haven't had a chance to try
the ro hfs lkm yet.  When I think about it, it should be pretty simple to
write the un*x-side installer, just basically a script that calls mount,
then calls mkfs (or does NetBSD call it newfs), then tar a number of
times....

David