Subject: Re: Cross-platform networking question
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1997 15:56:01
On Tue, 13 May 1997, David A. Gatwood wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
> > > I'm trying to figure out how to use pppd to connect two un*x clones, one a
> > > PB145 Running NetBSD-mac68k (pretty -current), the other a PM7100AV
> > > Running MkLinux DR2.1 Update 1.
> > >
> > > First, I know I need to compile a Linux server with Gateway capability
> > > turned on, but....  I decided to try anyway.  Upon running pppd with
> > > defaultroute on both ends, and trying to telnet from one to the other, the
> > > Linux box connects to the NetBSD box, but nothing ever comes up (i.e.
> > > connection is made, but no prompt).  The NetBSD box cannot connect at all
> > > to the Linux box.  Is that just because gateway capability isn't turned
> > > on, or am I missing some important thing (for the addresses, I just used
> > > 0.0.0.2 and 0.0.0.3, i.e. same network, different host numbers, but there
> > > are probably some better choices...).
> >
> > Try 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3.
> >
> > What does netstat -r say on either box? ifconfig?

<snip>

It suddenly hit me what was wrong... resolver delays.  For some reason,
NetBSD ignores the /etc/hosts file if there's a /etc/resolv.conf file.
Moving resolv.conf to resolv.conf.old fixed the connection in both
directions.  Now it's just a matter of getting an IP number for the NetBSD
box and trying some things.  :-)

BTW, is there a way to force NetBSD to look at the /etc/hosts file first,
like Linux does?  (Replies to port-mac68k, only, please).

Thanks,
David