Subject: Re: Cross-platform networking question
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/13/1997 14:26:11
On Tue, 13 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > I'm trying to figure out how to use pppd to connect two un*x clones, one a
> > PB145 Running NetBSD-mac68k (pretty -current), the other a PM7100AV
> > Running MkLinux DR2.1 Update 1.
> >
> > First, I know I need to compile a Linux server with Gateway capability
> > turned on, but....  I decided to try anyway.  Upon running pppd with
> > defaultroute on both ends, and trying to telnet from one to the other, the
> > Linux box connects to the NetBSD box, but nothing ever comes up (i.e.
> > connection is made, but no prompt).  The NetBSD box cannot connect at all
> > to the Linux box.  Is that just because gateway capability isn't turned
> > on, or am I missing some important thing (for the addresses, I just used
> > 0.0.0.2 and 0.0.0.3, i.e. same network, different host numbers, but there
> > are probably some better choices...).
>
> Try 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3.
>
> What does netstat -r say on either box? ifconfig?

Linux Side:

Destination   Gateway       Genmask           Flags  MSS      Window  Use Iface
42.0.0.3      *             255.255.255.255   UH     1500     0       0   ppp0
17.1.1.10     *             255.255.255.0     U      1500     0       0   eth0
127.0.0.0     *             255.0.0.0         U      3584     0       0   lo0
default       42.0.0.3      *                 UG     1500     0       0   ppp0

Everything looks logical except the 42....

BSD Side:

Destination   Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use    Mtu   Interface
default       10.0.0.2           UG          1        2     -    ppp0
10.0.0.2      (173) beef dead be UH          1       10     -    ppp0
localhost     localhost          UH          1       24     -    lo0

My guess about the second line is that's because I had to kill the connection, and
it was still trying to display the info (3 minutes in, I gave up...).  Ping works,
telnet doesn't, at least from the linux box to the NetBSD.  At one point, NetBSD's
routed gave "lo0 has no address" and "ifinit: out of sync", but this only happened
one time that I tried the connection (i.e. I haven't been able to
duplicate it).

I've compiled a linux server (Update 2...) with gateway support turned on,
and I'm about to dl it to my 7100 and see if it works....  Wish me luck.
What's odd is, ping works both ways, telnet doesn't work either way, and
it takes the NetBSD box an incredible amount of time to find a route
through that pppd link... the reverse isn't as bad, netstat -r takes
forever on either platform.  ping on the linux box is almost instant.
ping on the NetBSD box takes somewhere around a minute (haven't timed it)
before it starts returning anything.  Weird.

David