Subject: Re: boot up problems on LCII
To: Danny Gagn <dannyg@aei.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/12/1997 18:36:15
Danny Gagn wrote:

>The only kernels that seem to work for me are the
>ADBTEST kernels. I currently use the ADBTEST.160.
>
>       Danny>Subject:     Re: boot up problems on LCII

>>	I have a Mac LCII 10/40 and a 1 gig external hard drive (for which
>>I have placed all files for NetBSD/mac68k 1.2.1) running system 7.0.1.  I
>>installed all the files as directed (using installer1.1), and have
>>partitioned my hard drive to accomodate the unix filesystem.  My problem
>>is that when I boot up I get the following on my screen, then the system
>>freezes:

NetBSD 1.2 (the official release) won't run on the LC-II or LC-III.  The
MRG/ADB changes for these two systems went into the sources after the
code freeze for 1.2.  NetBSD 1.2.1 should work on these systems, although
1.2C in the 2/14/97 snapshot or 1.2D in the 4/8/97 snapshot might be
better choices.  Although 1.2.1 seems to be more current than either of
the two snapshots I believe it actually preceeds them and would be less
confusing if it were named 1.2B. All of these releases and snapshots are
built using the MRG code to support the ADB and these are the changes
that went into NetBSD after the 1.2 release.

The HWDIRECT (or ADBTEST) Kernels worked on the LC-II and LC-III prior to
the official 1.2 release. They should still work with the latest kernels
built using HWDIRECT code.

One problem with the LC-II is that some systems seem to report that they
are LC-IIs but in fact are not fully functional as an LC-II.  This seems
to happen to LC systems that are upgraded with 68030 CPUs.  Although they
meet all the hardware requirments to run NetBSD, they still report
themselves as LCs, and won't work with the MRG/ADB code. They _might_ run
with the HWDIRECT solution.

-bob