Subject: Re: True-color X server (Re: X WINDOWS WORKS ON PB160 !!!)
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1997 20:03:01
> The color X server works only in 1-bit and 8-bit mode because, well, I
> didn't know any better than that.  It seems, however, that multiple
> color resolution support can be done with a little coding in the near
> future.  If that happens, you'll be able to change the color
> resolution by editting a config file and restarting X (a la XFree86).

16 bit color X would be nice on some of the 68040 machines. Aside from
adding that mode, though, there is little else that needs to be added.

4 bit mode is kind of useless for X. It would be great for a color version
of dt, though since there are only 16 colors in VT100/ANSI.

BTW, I hope future versions of X will allow you to choose 1 or 8 bit mode.
Some people's machines might be able to do 8 bit mode but work faster
in 1 bit mode.