Subject: Re: X WINDOWS WORKS ON PB160 !!!
To: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
From: Michael R Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1997 15:06:19
> At fisrt it appeared that X just hung upon start up.  Then Michael told
> me to just let it sit for a while because sometimes X can take a while
> to come up.  Well, he was right.  It takes QUITE a while.  Like about
> 4 minutes.  But IT WORKS!  Amazing.

Good. However, I'm wondering why it took *so* long for X to come up.
It should come up faster than that. Are you running in only 4 megs of
RAM?

> By the way Michael, do you know if your sources would allow the PB160 to
> use an external monitor?  If I try to use colorkit X, can I get 16 shades
> of greyscale on my PB?  If not now, will your future revs of intvid allow
> the external monitor or the greyscale on the PB?

Not yet. The video controller on the 160 and 180 for internal and external
video are separate. There is the ViSC controller for internal video and
the DBLite for external video. I will likely have to create a separate
video device for external video on PowerBooks (extvid0 at obio0? :-) ).

I have to look at the tech docs but if 16 colors/grays are the best you
can do on external video there is little reason to do so. X currently
works in 1 bit or 8 bit mode. Although, I envision that someday somebody
will be kind enough to make a color version of dt that will work in
16 color mode.