Subject: Re: booter problem (apparent freeze)
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1997 12:23:06
On Thu, 8 May 1997, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:

> I've run into a new and unexpected problem while attempting to boot.
> After selecting "Boot Now", the booter proceeds quite normally until right
> when the mac side would vanish and be replaced by bsd.  At this point, the
> screen freezes.
>
> I've looked though all the options and preferences, and they were
> unchanged from the last time I had a successful boot.  I've tried with the
> mac extensions on and off.  I've tried booter versions 1.9.4 and 1.9.7 and
> gone so far as to trash the copies I had been using and replace them with
> new copies.

Make sure your copy of netbsd (the file, not the OS) isn't corrupted or
anything, try using the mini-shell, moving it to a new name, then
installing a fresh copy.  Beyond that... ake sure it's not doing serial
console or something, but otherwise, no ideas.

> Is this likely to be a problem on the mac side, or the bsd side?  If mac,
> then what?  If bsd, how can I fix it if I can't boot the system?

See above.  My guess is bsd side, but I guess it could be MacOS side, too.
You are booting (MacOS) off the same drive, right?  Haven't replaced the
System Software, right?

Good luck,
David