Subject: Re: 3-button mice
To: None <ingerrn@cris.com>
From: Ken and Masami Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/08/1997 07:49:01
On Wed, 7 May 1997 12:39:37 -0400 (EDT),
xiamin <ingerrn@cris.com> wrote:
> I just recently bought a Logitch Trackman Marble. I love it. The only
> problem is that when I am running X the third button doesn't work.

Cool.

> I set the second and third buttons up in MacOS with the MouseKeys
> control panel that came with it, and Keycaps shows that it is doing
> the buttons right.

Actually the mouse gets reinitialized when NetBSD kernel boots, so it
doesn't matter how you set it up under MacOS.

> Here is part of dmesg if that is helpful:
[...]
> adb: extended mouse <LT\^C> 0-button 3575 dpi unknown device at 3

Yikes.  Then your Logitech TrackMan Marble talks a similar-but-not-
exactly-the-same-as-Extended-Mouse-Protocol protocol...  This is
the source of your woe.

There's a couple of ADB analyzing tools that run on MacOS.  Taras
(Microspeed Delux), Colin (was it the A3 mouse?), and I (anything that
talks Extended Mouse Protocol) all used some or all of them to analyze
how our multi-button mice spoke when we added support for them.
Unfortunately, I don't have my Macs near me at the moment, so I can't
tell you the exact names of the tools.  ADBParse and ADBanalyze or
some such...  (Can someone help?)  If you can analyze the trackball's
data format by using these tools, you can patch the source
(mac68k/dev/adb.c) or at least tell us how to patch the source.

Hope this helps,

Ken