Subject: Re: 3-button mice
To: None <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1997 21:30:10
> On Wed, 7 May 1997 12:39:37 -0400 (EDT),
> xiamin <ingerrn@cris.com> wrote:
> > I just recently bought a Logitch Trackman Marble. I love it. The only
> > problem is that when I am running X the third button doesn't work.
>
> Cool.
>
> > Here is part of dmesg if that is helpful:
> [...]
> > adb: extended mouse <LT\^C> 0-button 3575 dpi unknown device at 3
>
> Yikes.  Then your Logitech TrackMan Marble talks a similar-but-not-
> exactly-the-same-as-Extended-Mouse-Protocol protocol...  This is
> the source of your woe.

Don't you hate it when that happens?  Hmmmm....although the Extended Mouse
Protocol support looks perfectly correct, maybe there's a bug in it with
respect to the identity string for an ADB device.

> There's a couple of ADB analyzing tools that run on MacOS.  Taras
> (Microspeed Delux), Colin (was it the A3 mouse?), and I (anything that
> talks Extended Mouse Protocol) all used some or all of them to analyze
> how our multi-button mice spoke when we added support for them.
> Unfortunately, I don't have my Macs near me at the moment, so I can't
> tell you the exact names of the tools.  ADBParse and ADBanalyze or
> some such...  (Can someone help?)  If you can analyze the trackball's
> data format by using these tools, you can patch the source
> (mac68k/dev/adb.c) or at least tell us how to patch the source.

I used the following three tools when I figured out how to get the A3
mouse working (in order of decreasing usefulness):

o ADB Parser 5.0.7
o ADB Prober folder
o ADB Analyzer

The ADB Parser tool is quite useful, since it lets you send arbitrary ADB
commands fairly easily, and it allows you to view the ADB data that comes
back.  If these tools are not available on the InfoMac archive, then try
on one of Apple's ftp sites (like ftp.support.apple.com, or maybe the
developer ftp site).

If anyone has some questions on how to figure out how the mouse works, let
me know, and I may be able to help.

Later.