Subject: X Windows on PB160
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ADAMGOOD@delphi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/07/1997 10:18:43
Hi everyone.

Well, now that My PB160 is mostly working with internal video, I figuered
I'd really push my luck and try running X on it.

Needless to say, it didn't work.  (Michael Zucca are you out there?)

I got the binaries from NetBSD-1.2 and installed them.  It gets to running
the xserver and hangs.  I broke to the debugger and did a ps, and sure
enough, the xserver had begun running.

Actually, the screen goes all grey the way it does when you first boot into
MacBSD, and on the bottom line of the screen is the text:

screen 0 at 0x41ad000, 640 by 400, row B 80, fbase 0xbf700

and it just dies there.

I booted in b+w 1 bit color mode, and I tried this with xserver12 and
with the xserver961105 from Puma.  They both do the same thing.

I wouldn't have started in with X at all except that I got the Emacs
binaries for the Amiga, and they require X, so I decided to go for X
as well.

I figure if its possible to have one miracle happen (i.e. getting BSD
to run on the PB160 AT ALL), then maybe it's possible to have two
miracles happen, and I'll even be able to run X on it . . .

Miracles anyone?

Thanks again,

-Adam

P.S.  (Second plea for Michael Zucca?)