Subject: Re: who "owns" the kernel?
To: Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/1997 19:18:54
On Tue, 6 May 1997, Jeffrey Ohlmann wrote:
> Okay, so I created a fictional user with uid 200:
>
> 	me::200:0::0:0:me:/:/bin/csh
>
> and logged in as "me", but when I tried to chown the file
>
> 	chown 0 netbsd [or: chown root netbsd]
>
> I get the message
>
> 	chown: netbsd: Operation not permitted

Only root can chown stuff... (some/most System V flavors of Unix let the
owner of a file chown things to other users, but BSD doesn't work that
way). So, you can delete your fictional user and just do "chown root
/netbsd" while root.

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++