Subject: Re: who "owns" the kernel?
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/06/1997 13:30:00

> On Tue, 6 May 1997 15:21:52 -0400 (EDT)
>  Jeffrey Ohlmann <jaohlma@bgnet.bgsu.edu> wrote:
>
>  > I just noticed that the apparent "owner" of my kernel seems to have
>  > changed, though I cannot recall what it originally was.  Right now ls -al
>  > shows me
>  >
>  > -rwxr-xr-x  1  200  wheel  1290586  Feb 26  18:48  nebsd
>
> ...it should be uid 0

Correct, as otherwise user 200 could change the kernel and do all sorts
of bad stuff (like make a kernel which lets user 200 have root access...).
On a mono-user home machine, it probably doesn't matter.

>  > I've probed around the master.passwd and also etc/group (even though the
>  > group id is not a problem) but I didn't see a 200 anywhere. Everything
>  > else appears to have a correct owner and I have found no other files or
>  > directories owned by 200.

I bet this is one of the GENERIC distributed kernels. If you looked on
the machine which compiled the kernel, though, you would find a user
200. :-)

Take care,

Bill