Subject: Re: X-Windows
To: David JunQuan He <djh2@axe.humboldt.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1997 23:22:57
> 	I followed instructions from the
> http://puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq
> for installing X-Windows (X11R6) but I still can't get X running!  When I
> executed startx and it said, "/usr/libexec/ld.so: xinit: libXext.so.6.1: no
> such file or directory".

Ah, you obviously need to read a bit further down the page.  This one is
also explained in the FAQ.

> I have edited the /etc/rc.local file corrected and I created a .xinitrc
> file on the home directory with the following lines:
> twm &
> xterm -sb -geometry 80x24+0+0 -name login

That's probably fine.

> When I logged into NetBSD as root and I executed ls, the background files
> like .login, .profile, .cshrc are visible.  Does anyone know why this
> happened?

>From the ls(1) manual page:

ls -A:

List all entries except for `.' and `..'. Always set for the super-user.

> Another question:
> 	How can I copy files from the MacOS partition to NetBSD partition?
> I downloaded some files from the internet and I want to put them into the
> NetBSD's root directory!

Three ways:

1) Use the Installer's Mini-Shell to copyin the files in question.
2) Use an hfs utility (like hfs or hfsutils) to copy them from within
NetBSD
3) Set up networking under NetBSD and transfer directly to you machine.

Hope this helps.

Later.