Subject: Sort of a dumb question
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <jhsterne@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1997 12:31:11
Alright, I shouldn't be doing this.

Still, it raises a question.

Just for fun, I set up my NetBSD box (P450 yadda yadda yadda GENERICSBC-26 ...)
to be its own nameserver.

Slave only, with forwarding to my normal nameservers.

(I wanted to see if caching would improve my speed by a few ms, but mostly
I'm just playing).

It works fine.

The Unix System Administration Handbook advises not to set one's nameserver
as the loopback address (127.0.0.1 for newbies).

I did, since my ISP only has dynamic IP addressing.

(That's the dumb part...)

In any event, it works fine, but ...

pppd takes a minute or so to start

(vs. like no time at all before)

Just wondering...

J.

(When I say start, I mean _start_, as in, it doesn't let go of the
CPU for like a minute.  Obviously I can start it in the background,
and not worry, but, again, I'm just curious.  Does this have something
to do with the "Documented BSD Bug" mentioned in the Handbook?)