Subject: 180 & netbsd
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1997 15:45:21
> Takashi's home page
> (http://www.lisanet.org/~hamada/Acti/Netbsd/netbsd.html)
> has a kernel that should work on the PB180.

And somehow I managed to miss all this :)  I found this page last night, and
am drooling, though I can't get to work on this next week.

Now, for the magic question:  what is that kernel synced with?  do I want
1.2.1, or current, or something in between.

> FYI: Even if ADB works on the PB180, power management (sleep,etc)
> currently does NOT, so don't expect it to run too long on a roaming
> battery based PowerBook.

OK, sleep would be nice :)  I assume that it can turn back off, though?  I
don't think I ever managed to get below 1:20 on a full charge, even with all
power management defeated.  And I have three batteries and a long extension
cord . . . and toshiba is making 810mb drives, $399 . . .

> 2. DIRECT method - the code talks to the hardware directly. The
>    problems with this method are that we must work out exactly
>    how the hardware works AND there are at least 4 different
>    hardware interfacing methods between various Mac models.
>    (See http://www.macbsd.com/~jpw/adb.html for more details)

I've read through this, but I don't understand the nature of the failure.  Is
it a single call which is never returned from?  or is it useless data
returned?  And if it returns, is there a way of judging "partial" success?  If
so, and assuming that the search space isn't more than a few hundred bits, a
genetic algorithm isn't too hard to implement.  We could use an adb modem or
some such to send the "attempt" characters, and just leave the two machines
alone for a couple of days.

rick