Subject: Re: Using hfssh 2.0
To: Josh Hope <otaku@redneck.hick.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1997 16:51:27
On Mon, 5 May 1997, Josh Hope wrote:

> I have gotten hfssh to compile properly, but when trying to mount my
> internel hard drive, I get the same error over and over...
>
> % hfs mount /dev/sd0a
> can't mount volume: unable to obtain lock for device (Operation not
> supported)
> %
>
> Any help on getting it to mount would be appreciated...thanks :)

It's a known problem under NetBSD (at least mac68k) with respect to device
locking, and it doesn't seem to cause problems for anything but hfsutils,
so nobody's fixed it....  You can either comment out the section of the
source that does the locking (and set permissions so that only root can
run it, to make sure two ppl don't attempt to perform writes on the same
volume simultaneously...), or try changing the lock code to use file
locking (flock) instead of whatever it uses now (I think I'm remembering
that right), or change the locking code to create a file in /var/lock and
modify the lock checking code to match.  Whatever you do, be consistent.
Maybe I can take a closer look at the relevant hfsutils code and put
together a patch sometime this summer.  Until then, the easiest thing to
do is make sure the device doesn't have write permissions for anybody but
root and then comment out the locking code.

Hope that helps,
David

|David A. Gatwood                    "My Head or my Heart...  that is   |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu               the question. To be or not to be   |
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu                   is but a trifle."         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |