Subject: Re: GENERICSBC-30 problem
To: Dave Paton <suprdave@purdue.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1997 16:44:11
> At least before, I could get the kernel recognized by the booter.

It sounds like there's some chance that either the booter or the
kernels are corrupted somehow.  Try

	ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/outgoing/briggs/netbsd.gz

Download this in binary mode and feed it straight to the booter.  Do not
attempt to gunzip it.  Booter 1.10 understands gzipped kernels (but not
.tar.gz).

MacGzip defaults to doing text translation when it decompresses.
I think some versions of tar will do the same nastiness.  Some
downloading programs do this, too.  I think Netscape is notorious
for treating all files as text files.  Use Fetch, if you can--I
know that's clear about text vs. binary vs. automatic (which always
guesses "Text" for kernels, in my experience--use "binary").

This translation is pure poison to binary files like the kernel.

-allen

--
              Allen Briggs - end killing - briggs@macbsd.com