Subject: Re: ADBTEST/HWDIRECT pages updated
To: Rick Hawkins <rhawkins@iastate.edu>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1997 13:05:36
Rick Hawkins wrote:

> Am I reading these posts correctly in inferring that someone *has* gotten
> the 180 class of powerbooks to at least briefly talk to an adb device?  If
> so, I'll spring the $400 for a new hard drive . . .

Takashi's home page
(http://www.lisanet.org/~hamada/Acti/Netbsd/netbsd.html)
has a kernel that should work on the PB180.

The HWDIRECT#168 kernel doesn't seem to work however, although it should
include all of the code that is in Takashi's kernels. I am trying to
resolve what the differences are.

FYI: Even if ADB works on the PB180, power management (sleep,etc)
currently does NOT, so don't expect it to run too long on a roaming
battery based PowerBook.

> I understand that the problem is in configuring the hardware.  Is this a
> matter of choosing parameters?  And is it an issue of a) parameters are
> set, call is made, and there is no return, or b) a series of calls are
> made, and different parameters lead to different crashes?

There are two possible ways to access the ADB devices on a Mac system
running NetBSD:
1. MRG method - calls are made to the Mac ROMs, which do all the
   dirty work. The problem with this method is that you have to
   make sure all the globals that are required by the ROM routines
   are set up properly.
2. DIRECT method - the code talks to the hardware directly. The
   problems with this method are that we must work out exactly
   how the hardware works AND there are at least 4 different
   hardware interfacing methods between various Mac models.
   (See http://www.macbsd.com/~jpw/adb.html for more details)

Later,
	--John