Subject: Re: GENERICSBC-30 problem
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: David A. Gatwood <marsmail@globegate.utm.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/05/1997 15:03:54
On Mon, 5 May 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > Hi all-
> >
> > I'm having a bit of trouble booting (or even trying to boot) this kernel
> > with booter 1.10.0. I've gto the kernel in MAcOS (named netbsd and
> > untarred/zipped) and every time I am told that there ain't enough memory
> > to load this kernel. I've tried this on my SE/30 (the BSD box) as well as
> > on my PM 7600. If I can't boot in the 32 MBs on the powermac, how am I
> > supposed to boot in the 8 on the SE/30?
>
> Uhm, a mac68k kernel WON'T work on a PowerMac. As the current installer
> has (AFAIK) m68k assembly code in it, it won't work right on a
> powermac.

The installer should, unless something's changed recently.  I used to use
installer 1.0 on an external hard drive because it's faster than
installing with the PB145, then just disconnect the drive and patch it
into the laptop.  Worked like a charm.  (Or did you mean the booter?)

If you want to run something on the 7600, look into MkLinux or linuxpmac.
(for more info, check out http://www.mklinux.apple.com).

David