Subject: Headless P460 again
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/03/1997 00:00:00
>Or create a prefs file with a working computer and turn the option "Don't
>bug me about untested systems" on (in boot preferences under the
>rightmost menu or thereabouts).  That should work, unless something's
>really weird.

Doh! Thanks guys (that should teach me not to email people after 1 am), it
worked, I'm booted into multiuser now. Let's see, what time is it... Not
even midnight so here I go again:

Right now I'm using a terminal emulator on a Mac as console. I just set it
to 8n1, which IIRC is the only setting I ever used. It seems getty can
figure this out by itself since I fed it std.9600 which uses the vanilla
ap (any parity) setting in gettytab. The reason I'm asking (in addition to
just being curious) is that I found this weird terminal (Westward 1015)
which is supposed to be a combined VT100/Tektronix terminal. It has a
setup menu where you can choose the parity: mark, space, even or odd. I
never heard of mark and space before so I went for even. I then tried to
make an entry for it in gettytab with ep (even parity) but it doesn't
work, I'll check the pin layout tomorrow. So I guess my question is: (in
general) could someone explain parity to me, like what's it for, and (more
specifically) how smart is getty, I thought it only checked the baud rate,
does it really figure out the parity if you feed it with ap?

TIA,

/Johan