Subject: Re: Parity (Was: Headless P460 again)
To: Johan Carlsson <johanc@fusion.kth.se>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/02/1997 17:24:44
	Parity is used to determine bit errors on characters, it is
	conventinally an extra bit sent at the end of the character.

		Even parity means the parity bit will be set if an even
		number of bits are set to '1'.

		Odd parity is the opposite.

		Mark paity means the bit is always set.

		Space parity menas the bit is never set (this is the same
		as stripping 8bit data to 7bit).

	If you cannot manage no parity, go with space.

	Parity will detect if a single bit is in error, or any other
	odd number of bits, but cannot detect if an even number of
	bits is incorrect.

                David/abs abs@anim.dreamworks.com

    		       - Oakwood apartments -
     - $1300 a month and people steal your laundry - What a place -